Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tools of the Trade


Every violet grower has the famous tools that he or she uses to grow their plants. My tools have accumulated over time. I have inherited a few of them from growers that no longer grow and the rest I have bought over time. I am sure most growers would agree that certain tools are necessary for growing african violets. Foremost, a watering can is essential. It is also important to have a pair of scissors (for cutting holes in plastic solo cups), grooming brushes, dull knives to scrape the necks off of violets, a mediterranean sea sponge (for washing foliage), a sucker plucker, small spoon to put soil into pots, a chinese marker (I use it to write the name of the plant and date on white plastic pots, wicking material, sharpie black marker, 1/8 tsp measurement, turkey baster (to water small plants with delicate roots), eye dropper (for superthrive, etc), and finally tweezers. I have them in a few different sizes for different size plants. They are useful in dislodging a plant from its pot. These are the basic tools I use when grooming and repotting my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment