Saturday, August 21, 2010

Potting up those Babies






Back in April I ordered some beautiful semi and mini leaves from Andrea Worrell of The Franklinhouse. Well, babies came and came and they were finally ready to pot up this month. Last week I set everything up and went to town potting up the babies. I'm excited because I really like semis and minis and haven't grown any in about a year. Now I have about 5o plantlets wicked and ready to grow for show in the coming months.

Like any plantlets I pot up I start them in solo cups and write the name and date on the pot. I insert a wick through the bottom of the pot and fill the bottom of the pot with about 1" of perlite and then my regular potting mix on top. I wrap the wick around the pot so that there is even distribution of water through the soil and make a hole in the top of the soil and insert the baby in the mix. I water with a gallon of water with 10 drops of Superthrive and 1 tsp of Physan 20. It is best to not fertilize right away because the roots are so tender and you dont want to burn them. The plants are then put into their own greenhouses (ziploc sandwich bags--blown up) and set aside for about a month to root. They are then ready to be placed on their own reservoirs but a dilute fertilizer solution. As some of you know Andrea is an amazing grower and I hope to grow these semis and minis just as beautifully as hers. Here are a few pics showing me repotting the plantlets and then in their greenhouses under lights. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment