Monday, August 30, 2010

Back from Vacation....I think the plants liked being neglected

Ever feel like you hawk over your AVs? Sometimes too much attention is a bad thing. I went away last week to Florida (Disneyworld with the family) and left my plants all to themselves. I'll say that when I returned my plants looked okay. First, some were starting to lean towards the light (those at the end of the stand) because I was not there to turn them. However, once I got them turned the problem was easily fixed. Another not so good outcome was that my plant of Leading Lady is starting to bleach and yellow in the new growth. It has been growing on the bottom shelf of my light cart and since I wick the plant has been growing at about 5-6" away from the lights. This distance would be fine for semiminis or minis but not standards. The typical distance from the top of the pot and the light should be 10-12" for standards. I have moved the plant to the top shelf and it is now about 10" away from the tubes and I also moved it to the end of the stand so that the light intensity is not so strong. Some positive things that happened while I was away include my plant of S. Tongwensis, which is starting to come into bloom as well as the plantlets that I potted up before I left have started to root and seem to be growing well. I'll have more posts this week and hopefully pictures as well as an update on my showplants. Right now my eyes are burning so I need to get some sleep. Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment