Saturday, August 21, 2010

6 Weeks Til SHOWTIME!!!!









Ahhhh, the show is approaching very fast. My local club, the African Violet Society of Philadelphia, is scheduled to have their show on Saturday, October 2, 2010 from 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Unfortunately, our show is only one day this year as opposed to two but if you are in the area we would love for you to stop by and see our plants. The show will be held at Cathedral Hall, Cathedral Village Retirement Community, 600 East Cathedral Rd, Philadelphia, PA 19128. This will be the first year in about 5 years that I plant to exhibit plants. As I mentioned before while in college I grew plants in my dorm but was in another part of the state and could not enter in shows the from 2004-2008. Also, the last 2 years I haven't devoted as much time to my plants so they were never ready for show. Now I am getting my act together and plan on taking at least 2 decent plants to the show. One is Looking Glass, which I am hoping will bring me home a big award. I have been babying it for a while now and if I can get a good head of blooms on it I think it will be an impressive plant.

I have been following our show schedule and my plant timers are now on 14 hours a day. At si weeks before the show it tells me to disbud single blossoms for the last time, check for suckers, and wash the foliage. Yesterday I washed the foliage on a few plants. I use distilled water because there are no minerals in the water that will leave marks on the foliage when it dries. It works well and you can dab the water drops that form at the base of the leaf and then put the plants right back under the lights. I know I love getting a shower and feeling fresh and clean so I can imagine the plants are happy and can "breath" easier now that their pores are clean. Here are a few pics of my show plant progress. Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment